What Is An Environmental Policy? Essay examples
An environmental policy statement is a declaration of an organizations commitment to the environment (Green Business Program, n.d.). The policy provides a summary of the organization’s environmental goals and how to achieve the goals. The organization can provide a unified vision through an environmental policy statement, in which employees can refer and identify actions of the organization. Additionally, an environmental policy can provide a clear explanation of the organization stance on environmental matters.
As stated in the ISO 14001:2004, environmental policy statements should include the following elements:
• Is appropriate to the nature, scale and environmental impacts of its activities, products and services
• Includes a commitment to continual improvement and prevention of pollution
• Includes a commitment to comply with applicable legal requirements and with other requirements to which the organization subscribes which relate to its environmental aspects
• Provides the framework for setting and reviewing environmental objectives and targets
• Is documents, implemented and maintained
• Is communicated to all persons working for or on behalf of the organization
• Is available to the public
Each element of the policy statement provides a structure for the Environmental Management System (EMS) and provides a reference that should be incorporated into all aspects of the organization’s activities.
Why does ISO stress the need for…