Ups Case Study Essay
Information Systems in Global Business Today
1. How are information systems transforming business and what is their relationship to globalization?
2. Why are information systems so essential for running and managing a business today?
3. What exactly is an information system? How does it work? What are its management, organization, and technology components?
4. What are complementary assets? Why are complementary assets essential for ensuring that information systems provide genuine value for an organization?
5. What academic disciplines are used to study information systems? How does each contribute to an understanding of information systems? What is a sociotechnical systems perspective?
Chapter …show more content…
After going over any requirements you may have for the course, try to give an overview of the course stressing that this is not a technical course. Usually, you can’t do enough to put non-technical types at ease.
The opening case, “Shortening Lines at Disney World: Technology to the Rescue,” shows students that even the entertainment industry has embraced technology as a way to enhance customer value and increase the business’s competitive advantage. Students will start to become familiar with the idea that many different kinds of businesses have had to change the way they operate, even Disney World. In order to increase their profits and improve customer satisfaction, Disney World monitors its operations using internal inputs from video cameras, digital park maps, computer