Standard 8 Health and Safety in an Adult Social Care Setting Essay examples
1.1 What legislation relates to Health and Safety in your work setting?
The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. Other key pieces of legislation that sit alongside and support the Health and Safety at Work
• The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1992.
• The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (known as COSHH).
• The Manual Handling Regulations 1992 .
• The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations
1985 (known as RIDDOR).
1.2 Do you know the main points around the health and safety and agreed ways of working in your work setting?
• Moving and handling of people and objects …show more content…
• Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (known as PUWER) ensures that the equipment employers provide is suitable for the intention, safe for use, only used by people who have been trained to do so, and maintained in a safe condition.
• The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 (known as WHSWR) ensure employers provide suitable working conditions for their employee
3.2 Are you aware of the task relating to moving and positioning that you are not allowed to carry out at your current stage of training?
I will need to undertake moving and handling training so that you are shown and can practice safe moves and correct techniques. Moving and handling training includes:
• Theory including legal requirements - Theory and practical can be done together or separately. Theory can be e-learning or a classroom based training course.
• Practical activities including use of a hoist and general mobility equipment - Practical is either classroom based or taught to you on a one to one basis.
• Practical training on specialist equipment - Learning to use specialist equipment usually takes place where the individual is based.
You are NOT permitted to move any individual or object until you have been trained, observed and signed off as competent in