Misconceptions Of Communicative Language Teaching Essay
Muhammed Resul AYGÜN English Language Teaching, Akdeniz University, Antalya, Turkey
Although Communicative Language Teaching is accepted by many English teachers in many countries as one of the most effective approach in English language teaching, it is a new method in Turkey not known by all teachers,researchers and linguiststhere and there are still a number of misunderstandings about it The aim of this article is focusing on some of the main misunderstandings, which are commonly held by the language teachers and researchers.
CLT basically is an approach to language teaching that emphasizes interaction as both the means and the ultimate goal of study. But when CLT was introduced in late 1970s and progressed in 80s people have discussed about what communicative language exactly is .Not surprisingly it caused some misconceptions and …show more content…
CLT is still discussed by many teachers and it is better to follow these researchs and debates and it will help us better understanding
For Turkey it is a new method not known but heard by many teachers so we need a good interpretation and avoid of possible misconceptions through CLT
1. Howatt, A. (1984). A history of English language teaching. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
2. Prabhu, N. S. 1987. Second Language Pedagogy. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
3. Krashen, S. 1988. The Input Hypothesis: Issues and Implications. London: Longman.
4. Ellis, R. 1992. Second Language Acquisition and Language Pedagogy. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
5. Brandl, K (2008). Communicative Language Teaching in Action, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall.
6. Truscott, J. (1999). What’s wrong with oral grammar correction? Canadian Modem Language Review, 55,