You will start at a lab station and then move from station to station until you have completed all 14 activities.
You will have 3minutes to do the activity at each lab station.
Perform the activity as directed.
Write a description of what you observe in your notebook.
Determine which of Newton’s Laws of Motion is being demonstrated.
Record this in your table.
Move to each of the other lab stations and repeat steps 3 – 7.
Lab Activities …show more content…
Remove the note card without disturbing either bottle.
Station 5 (Newton’s First Law of Motion)
1. Balance the meter stick on one hand and the ruler on the other hand.
2. Which is easier to balance?
Station 6 (Newton’s First Law of Motion)
1. Place the note card on top of the beaker.
2. Place the washer on the card, above the beaker.
3. Predict what happens when the card is rapidly removed.
4. Pull the card out as rapidly as you can.
5. Observe the motion of the washer.
Station 7 (Newton’s Second Law of Motion)
1. Place a penny near one end of your lab table.
2. Use your finger to propel the penny toward the other end of the lab table trying to get it to stop exactly at the edge of the lab table.
Station 8 (Newton’s Second Law of Motion)
1. There are two carts with different masses on the table.
2. Give the cart with the lower mass a gentle push and record how far it goes.
3. Give the other cart a push, just as hard, and record how far it goes.
Station 9 (Newton’s Second Law of Motion)
1. Set up the cart so that it is at the starting tape.
2. One partner gently pushes the cart and the other times it.
3. Stop the stopwatch when the car reaches the finish line.
4. Repeat steps 1, 2, and 3 giving the cart a harder