Genetically Modified Organisms ( Gmos ) Essay

1290 Words May 6th, 2016 6 Pages
Have you ever wondered what ingredients are in the foods we all mindlessly purchase at the grocery store, or how the produce you bought last week still appears fresh? There is a lot of controversy over the debate of whether GM foods should be avoided, and if organic foods have greater nutritional value. Although some farmers are producing and supporting genetically modified foods, the truth is, organic food is more beneficial for the body because organic foods are minimally processed, they do not contain any added hormones or pesticides, and they have better nutritional value. Most of America consumes genetically modified organisms (GMOs) everyday. “In North America, over 80% of our food contains GMOs.” Since GMOs are present almost everywhere, so it is vital to understand exactly what they are. “Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) have been altered by changing their genetic make-up.” “Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) or genetically engineered (GE) foods are plants or animals whose DNA has been altered in ways that cannot occur in nature or in traditional crossbreeding, most commonly in order to be resistant to pesticides or produce an insecticide. In most countries, organic crops contain no GMOs and organic meat comes from animals raised on organic, GMO-free feed.” If over 80% of the food supply in America is genetically modified, then what is the other 20%? “Organic crops must be grown in safe soil, have no modifications, and must remain separate from…

Related Documents