Erysipelas Research Paper
Erysipelas is an infection that affects the skin and the tissues near the surface of the skin. It causes the skin to become red, swollen, and painful. The infection is most common on the legs but may also affect other areas, such as the face. With treatment, the infection usually goes away in a few days. If not treated, the infection can spread or lead to other problems, such as abscesses.
Erysipelas is caused by bacteria. Most often, it is caused by bacteria called streptococci. The bacteria often enter through a break in the skin, such as a cut, surgical incision, burn, insect bite, open sore, or crack.
Some people are at an increased risk for developing erysipelas, including:
• Young children.
• …show more content…
• Feel itchy and hot.
• Develop blisters.
Other symptoms may include:
• Nausea and vomiting.
• Swollen glands (lymph nodes).
• Loss of appetite.
Your health care provider will take your medical history and do a physical exam. He or she will usually be able to diagnose erysipelas by closely examining your skin.
Erysipelas can usually be treated effectively with antibiotic medicines. The infection normally gets better within a few days of treatment.
HOME CARE INSTRUCTIONS
• Take medicines only as directed by your health care provider.
• Take your antibiotic medicine as directed by your health care provider. Finish the antibiotic even if you start to feel better.
• If the skin infection is on your leg, elevate the leg to help reduce swelling.
• Do not put creams or lotions on the affected area of your skin unless directed to do so by your health care provider.
• Do not share bedding, towels, or washcloths with other people. This will help prevent the infection from spreading to others.
• Keep all follow-up visits as directed by your health care provider. This is important.
SEEK MEDICAL CARE