Treadmill Training Case Study
Joining treadmill training and a virtual reality (VR) device to help target mobility of older individuals with cognitive impairments and are at high risk of falls.
1. A camera takes pictures of participant’s steps while on the treadmill.
2. In training VR video shows obstacles in the path of the participant.
3. While learning to use a treadmill with VR added, the participant uses hearing, sight, and motor skills.
a. Helping to make the work out more stimulating.
4. After six months of training participant gains stronger gate and reaction time to obstacles.
a. Two-year study of how VR treadmill training for older adults at high risk for falls is considered a better training than treadmill alone.
1. Findings, VR treadmill training had surpassed regular treadmill training.
c. Slight increase in cognitive function.
d. Reaction time increased.
II. Using virtual Reality treadmill training helps to reduce falls.
a. Reducing falls in older adults who are at high risk for falls may help in many ways.
1. Reducing falls reduces health care system overload.
2. Falls put large burden on health care …show more content…
This article is a useful tool if a client has increased fall risk.
b. Gerontologists understand that one cure does not fit all clients.
1. Although I would suggest this for some clients there are some who this may not work.
a. Advanced Parkinson’s disease client may not be able to use a treadmill.
b. Alzheimer’s clients who have lost perception.
2. The Virtual reality device may also be a great tool for recovering stroke clients who need help with postural control. Conclusion
Summary: Lessons learned from this article would be, not to be afraid to research something new and innovative when it comes to a client’s needs. Knowing what is right for the client concerning the VR treadmill exercise. Understanding this procedure will require establishing a relationship between client’s physical therapist and doctor to bring safest and best outcome for reducing fall risks. Challenges would be clients who may not be accustomed to walking and having a problem with possible equilibrium issues while on the treadmill with VR device. Understanding of all aspects of this device is clear after reading this article and it is worth looking into for help with fall risk