Akbar Religious Policy Analysis

AKBAR, S RELIGIOUS POLICY
Akbar’s religious policy was the most liberal exponent of the policy of toleration among all Muslim ruler in India. As a ruler, Akbar needed goodwill of his empire, in order for him to maintain the supervision and strengthen the empire. In this regard, he introduced his policies on the principle of religious tolerance known as Sulh-i –Kull which is known as peace with all.
This policy of religious tolerance was basically aimed at proper functioning of political and administrative machinery of the Empire. Thus Akbar had to search for new support groups and he turned to Rajput’s as possible allies. Jaziya, a tax on non-Muslims, was thus abolished, to win them over. Akbar personally observed certain practices. He started
…show more content…
Akbar realized that the Rajput’s, who held large areas in their possession and were skillful warriors and renowned for their valour and fidelity to their word, could safely be depended upon and converted into friends. Hence, Mughal Emperor Akbar decided to seek the cooperation of the Rajput’s to expand the Mughal Empire
Akbar captured strong forts of the Rajput’s like the forts of Chittoor, Ranthambhor, and Kalinjar. This weakened the power of the Rajput’s to do according to his will. Those Rajput’s rulers either accepted his sovereignty or entered into matrimonial relations with him. They were left masters of their kingdoms and were given high offices in the state and there was no interference in their administration. They were, however, asked to pay annual tribute to the emperor. Those Rajput rulers, who opposed him, were attacked and efforts were made to force them to accept his
…show more content…
The term mansab in the Mughal administration indicated the rank of its holder in the official ranking. The mansabs (ranks) ranged from command of 10 to 5,000 troops. Mansabdars were mostly of foreign origin or extraction, as were 70 percent of them toward the end of Akbar’s end. The remaining 30 percent were divided about equally between Hindus and Muslims, of which the latter were mainly Rajput’s.

CENTRAL ADMINISTRATION
The whole central administration was taken care by Akbar. All the judicial, legislative and executive powers of the state were combined under him. There were no limitations on his tyranny and his word was law. But Akbar had always welfare of the people in his mind. He himself supervised all the branches of his administration .he would hold an open court and listen to the complain of people of his subject and try to rectify them.
There were many ministers in his administration 1)Diwan, who was in-charge of finance and revenue 2) Bakshi who maintained the records of all the Mansabdars and distributed pay among the high officials 3) Vakil, who maintained a general control over all the central departments and acted as the chief adviser of the King 4) sadar-i-Sadur, who acted as a religious adviser to the king, disbursed royal charity and discharged the function of the Chief Justice of the

Related Documents