Substance Abuse Treatment Plan
Psychological functioning Mr. Connors was late for his appointment and his girlfriend had to drive him. He currently does not have a license, as it was suspended last week. He is visibly injured, having a cast on his arm and bruising around his face and neck area. He seems to be calm, sober and lucid but display’s very little affect; and seems perturbed to be there. His voice is of normal tone and he has no problem giving clear concise answers asked of him.
He is cooperative but is still hesitant to expand on how he received his injuries other than he was attacked for drug related reasons. He seems depressed and defeated when asked questions about his future. He doesn’t display any denial about his problem but doesn’t feel he has any way to escape it. He is very agitated that he is not self-sufficient and has been barred from his mother’s home because of his verbal attacks that have prompted neighbors to call the police. His girlfriend recently told him that if he doesn’t get help and a job he’s going to have to leave the home she provides for him.
C. …show more content…
Assessment Mr. Connor’s assessment shows he meets the “criteria in the DSM-5 that would diagnose him with a severe substance use disorder” (Comer, pg. 294). Mr. Connors “must display at least two of the following symptoms within the past 12 months” (Comer, pg. 294).
• Substance is often taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than intended
• Persistent desire or unsuccessful effort to reduce or control consumption
• Excessive time spent trying to obtain, use or recover from the effects of a substance
• Failure to fulfill major role obligations at work, school or home as a result of substance abuse.
• Continued use of substance abuse despite persistent social or interpersonal problems caused by it.
As you can see from the symptom list above, he has met that criterion. He also meets the criteria for admission to a “detoxification dual diagnosis hospital inpatient program” for 3 months (Stevens & Jones, pg. 158,