Review Sheet 1 Essay
Cell Transport Mechanisms and Permeability
The following refer to Activity 1: Simulating Dialysis (Simple Diffusion).
Which solute(s) were able to pass through the 20 MWCO membrane?
1. According to your results, which solute had the highest molecular weight?
2. Which solute displayed the highest rate of diffusion through the 200 MWCO membrane?
3. Using the data from Chart 1, explain the relationship between the rate of diffusion and the size of the solute.
The larger the solute the smaller the rate of diffusion
The following refer to Activity 2: Simulating Facilitated Diffusion. 4. Did any of the substances travel against …show more content…
The higher the solute concentration the higher the osmotic pressure.
The following refer to Activity 4: Simulating Filtration.
16. Using your results in Chart 4, which MWCO membrane had the greatest filtration rate?
17. Explain the relationship between pore size and filtration rate.
Larger the pore the greater the filtration
18. Which solute did not appear in the filtrate using any of the membranes?
19. What is your prediction of the molecular weight of glucose compared to the other solutes in the solution?
Glucose molecular weight would be greater, because its filtration is less than that of the NaCl and urea.
20. What happened when you increased the driving pressure?
21. Explain why fluid flows from the capillaries of the kidneys into the kidney tubules.
The pressure would be higher in the capillaries than in the kidney tubules, so particles small enough are filtered from the capillaries then into the kidney tubles.
22. How do you think a decrease in blood pressure would affect filtration in the kidneys?
Filtration rate would decrease
The following refer to Activity 5: Simulating Active Transport.
23. With 1 mM ATP added