Nuclear Bomb Essay

771 Words 4 Pages
Annotated Bibliography: The Effects of Nuclear Weapons
History Channel.” Bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. History.com. A&E Television Networks, LLC. N.d. Web. 26 Oct. 2016
Summarize: On August 6, 1945, America dropped the first nuclear bomb on Hiroshima Japan. It destroyed 90 percent of the city and killed 80,000 people. Another bomb was dropped on Nagasaki, killing 40,000 people. Japan surrendered shortly after the bombs have dropped.
Assess: This source is useful because it gives an example of what happened in the past due to a bomb being dropped. This article comes from History.com, this source is somewhat credible because it is a historical channel, but it is not an organization or an educational website. This source is objective it is
…show more content…
"Nuclear weapon". Encyclopedia Britannica. Encyclopedia Britannica Online. Encyclopedia Britannica Inc., 2016. Web. 26 Oct. 2016
Summarize: Nuclear weapons are very different from everyday weapons because they create high pressures and temperatures. The long-term effects have been studied, but are unknown. The impacts of a nuclear explosion depend on the design of the weapon and its yield; whether it takes place in the air, on the surface, underground, or underwater; the environmental impact, and its target. When a nuclear weapon detonates, it creates a ball of heat hotter than the sun; when it is detonated, 85% of the energy causes complete destruction, and the other 15% is left over radiation that causes a local fallout.
Assess: This is a useful source because it gives the specifics of what happens during a nuclear blast, and give the percentages as to why they are so destructive. When compared to the other source, this source explains some of the same information, but this one goes into specific detail on to what happens during a blast. This source is also extremely credible because it comes from the Encyclopedia Britannica, and this source will only give a researcher facts on their
…show more content…
“Nuclear Weapons” United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs. United Nations. N.d. Web. 26 Oct. 2016.
Summarize: Nuclear weapons are a large threat to people and their ways of life, and nuclear weapons have only been used twice in warfare. There have been efforts in place to prevent these weapons from being used, the first being by the UN General Assembly in 1946. This created a commission that deals with nuclear weapons in a way to prevent them from being a danger to people and nature.
Assess: The United Nations is a reputable source because it goes over what nuclear weapons are. It also goes over what nuclear weapons are used for, and the efforts in place to keep nuclear weapons from being misused by the wrong people. The information is Objective, and it comes from a vetted source, the United Nations. There is no evidence of opinions in this article it is strictly factual. The article presents factual information such as, there is twenty-two thousand nuclear weapons in the world. There has also been two-thousand tests conducted since 1946 on these

Related Documents