In 2014, President Obama proposed an executive order to issue a five year National Action Plan to combat antibiotic resistance that should include measurements of their progress (Chin). After doubling the available federal funds of control of antibiotic resistance in March 2015, the National Action Plan for Combating Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria was issued with the intention of accomplishing five goals including to: decrease new growth of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, bolster “national surveillance efforts”, improve rapid diagnostic …show more content…
Infectious Diseases Society of America 's (IDSA) ultimately desires to create public policy and research activities that will salvage the damage of the overuse of antibiotics and save lives (Clinical).
The GAIN act should be bolstered to make sure that antibiotics are being used appropriately (Clinical).
An ‘Antibiotic Innovation and Conservation (AIC) Fee’ should be created where 75 percent of the funding should go towards the monetary funds of antibiotic development and the other 25 percent should be applied towards the funding of antimicrobial stewardship (Clinical).
Public Health Antimicrobial Advisory Board (PHAAB) should recognize “priority pathogens” to pinpoint “incentives” within the Strategies to Address Antimicrobial Resistance (STAAR) (Clinical).
Proponents or sponsors of the STAAR Act and the GAIN Act should strengthen antimicrobial resistant prevention through the following: the management of programs in all healthcare facets, the increase of “public health and research efforts”, and the establishment of the AIC Fee …show more content…
Because the Secretary can find the proper medical findings of antibiotics that meet all the “statutory requirements for scheduling”, antibiotics, therefore, does not go out of the way of a Attorney General’s jurisdiction of redefining already instituted medical practices because it seeks to define an entire class of drugs to encourage public health, so it is probable that it would be considered as a valid process of statutory authority of the Secretary and the Attorney General (Geltman 129).
This authority has been legitimized by the CSA and the decision of the Gonzales v. Oregon where the court concluded that the Attorney General acted “beyond his statutory authority when he used his rulemaking authority under the CSA because the [Attorney General]’s regulation sought to define the practice of medicine and was made without a scientific finding from the Secretary”, however, when scheduling antibiotics, the Attorney General would be acting in a way that would not attempt to define a medical exercise and seek appropriate medical findings from the Secretary (Geltman