Limitations Of Knowledge Management
In my opinion following can be the possibilities by which universities can exploit KM principles:
• Using them as study program that can be taught to the students and make a change in the quality of the educational process.
• For decision support at the Management level
• Information and Knowledge dissemination of exploitation and management of the internal documentation. The major interrelated groups of decision makers identified in a university setting like Harrisburg university …show more content…
The majority of the staff used a global search like google or Yahoo as their firsthand Information source and some of them equally communicated with others and external sources, but have not used the HU resources which suggest their lack of reliability of the internal Knowledge system.
4. 73 % of the staff would always like to share the new information in person verbally or through personal copy or email, which is a bad way of sharing the knowledge as it becomes perishable again and the better way would have been posting it on a common platform for knowledge sharing.
5. Loss of Technical knowledge is the biggest fear in HU staff, which proves that there are no specific policies or protocols for creating knowledge repositories for technical knowledge.
6. People are the major knowledge banks, according to these results as most of the staff wants to turn to their colleagues for any HU related questions and this make HU KM system as a weak and perishable system. Also this proves that the knowledge documentation and written artifacts are not readily available to the …show more content…
Creation of Electronic documents of all the procedures, policies and protocols instead of putting them in paper form is the best way of preserving them.
3. Once the electronic documents have been created making them available to all the staff and relevant staff who need to access them using a share point site instead of emails and individual copies.
4. Providing an introduction and induction program to all the staff (both new and old) about the importance of knowledge and its management can create an impact on the staff with minimal knowledge. This can be achieved by introducing a knowledge based course for students also (as they are also part of decision support).
5. Creating external links on the intranet with external resources to create a knowledge base like websites with research and scholarly articles Eg: Google scholar, Web lens etc.;
6. Using free knowledge management software tie ups with MY HU (eg: Source forge) is an easier way of organizing the knowledge base in the initial phase as it doesn’t need lots of budget allocation. This also helps train the non-technical and administrative staff without a lot of effort.
7. Creating a bulletin board on share point like daily news or weekly updates with add-ons about new advancements in technology could be a better way of circulating the