Chapter 1 Essay
1. In the Neolithic era, about 8000 B.C., a new civilization and culture developed. The reason for this development was the change to hunting and gathering to cultivation of agriculture that permitted man to settle down permanently ending nomadic existence.
2. The Sumerians invented the first written language called Cuneiform.
3. Polytheistic Religion is the belief in many Gods.
4. Epic of Gilgamesh was the first literary story with a protagonist with a name and personality, and earliest written record of the discovery of death
5. One of the first established codes of law was the Hammurabi.
6. Why was the Hammurabi’s Code of law so significant? Explain in your own words.
It gave society rules …show more content…
1. What are the themes of this epic and which do you think is the major theme?
The themes of this epic are love, seduction, and death; in which death being the major theme.
2. Who civilized Enkidu, and what does it mean to be uncivilized and civilized to these Sumerians?
A temple prostitute civilized Enkidu. Being civilized to the Sumerians means being accepted to society, well educated, and has changed for the better. The Sumerians consider to term uncivilized to mean without morals and not knowing about how society works.
3. What kind of personalities do the gods have and what role do they play in men’s lives?
The best way to define the personalities of God’s is that they are dangerous for mortals, they are out for themselves, and cannot “act” like adults. They play a big role in men’s lives because man is fearful of them. Men are intimidated by the God’s.
4. What have you learned about the kind of people the Mesopotamians were or their culture from the reading?
The Mesopotamian culture had many God’s not just one. They had a god for love, a sky god, and a god of fresh water. Society was all over the place, there was no uniformity, and many clashed against each other.
5. How does the Epic of Gilgamesh speak to you or how do you relate to the story?
The Epic of Gilgamesh speaks to me by the whole concept of how life was a very long time ago. How society has took a 180, and changed.