A Controversy Over Acl Reconstruction Techniques Essay

1128 Words Dec 10th, 2014 5 Pages
There is a controversy over ACL reconstruction techniques. On the one hand, doctors argue that the patellar tendon autograft is the best technique. On the other hand, they argue that the hamstring autograft is the best technique. I believe that the best technique depends on the patient and their activity levels. People who compete in sports at a higher level than high school or college for four years would benefit more from a patellar tendon graft. People who do not participate competitively in sports for a long period of time are likely to benefit more from a hamstring graft. Making the right choice in reconstruction techniques is important to patients and their rehabilitation.
The ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) is one of four main ligaments located in your knee, connecting the femur to the tibia (ACL Injury). The ACL prevents forward movement of the tibia. It also provides a substantial amount of stability to the knee joint. Tears in the ACL are becoming more common; annually there are around 200,000 cases. Most cases are a manifestation of agility sports or active lifestyles. 70% of tears are non-contact; the other 30% are due to direct contact. Most commonly, ACL tears are seen in males ages 15-45, but are becoming more common in women as well (Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injury).
The patellar tendon graft and the hamstring graft both have many benefits, but also have certain negative effects. The patellar tendon graft is the strongest graft initially after surgery…

Related Documents