Essay on What Are the Three Types of Diabetes?

889 Words 4 Pages
There are three types of diabetes, which are Type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, and lastly gestational diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is commonly founded in children and adolescents, this occurs when the pancreas is at a point of not producing insulin. Insulin is naturally produced as a hormone by the pancreas in order to keep the body in homeostasis, then synthetically produced and injected manually to prevent having hyperglycemia. Approximately 10 percent of the society happens to have type 1 diabetes. The other 90 percent of the diabetics have type 2 diabetes; type 2 diabetes is when the pancreas is not producing enough insulin or when the body does not use the insulin produced properly. This type of diabetes occurs mainly in adults and due …show more content…
Insulin has a major impact on blood glucose levels. Individuals without diabetes, the pancreas does the delivering of small amounts of insulin continuously and the body secretes the extra insulin when food enters the body for it to identify the increase in blood glucose. Injecting insulin has a similar function. Children have to start with taking two or three injections of insulin everyday before breakfast, supper and bed; this routine may work for some. Many individuals experience a honeymoon phase; a honeymoon phase is a short period of time when individuals with type 1 diabetes diagnosis when the pancreas is still able to produce a significant enough amount of insulin to reduce insulin needs and aid blood glucose control (Daneman, Frank, & Perlman, 2010, p.27-28). Diabetes is caused in many ways, it can be genetic or from the unhealthy choices an individual makes. Type 1 diabetes cause is still unknown though several individuals believe diabetes occur due to weight. Type 2 diabetes is caused by obesity, family history, age and ethnic background ("Diabetes," 2014). Maintaining a healthy weight may be the only treatment needed for many individuals who are at risk of type 2 diabetes. Having type 2 diabetes in the family history gives an individual a greater chance of becoming diabetic. Exercising and avoiding processed foods while consuming a low-fat diet rich in vegetables and whole grains can reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes (Tropy, 2011). Some risk

Related Documents