John Brown from Provisional Constitution
1. Title: The title shows that the section is Brown’s temporary “repairs” to the Constitution.
2. Author’s Life: Brown was a radical, who sought to attack Virginia and form a slave free state. Brown hoped to form a delegate system and to remain a part of the U.S., where his forefathers had fought for freedom.
3. Response/Questions: I found it interesting that Brown was uninterested in overthrowing the U.S. government, but instead simply wanted to form a slave-free state. I also enjoyed how he wrote in article form like the Constitution.
4. Protest/Solution: Brown protested slavery and sought to form a slave-free state, which would be governed and protected with him as the commander-in-chief.
Daniel De Leon from Declaration of Interdependence by the Socialist Labor Party
1. Title: The title suggests that the piece with be about the socialist labor party, which believes that politics should be controlled by the working class.
2. Author’s Life: De Leon was a newspaper editor who believed in the socialist ideology. He sought to replace capitalism with socialism in America.
3. Response/Questions: I had to look up “plutocracy”, which is rule by the wealthy, and “internecine war”, which is bloody, destructive