Essay about No File
How does the Russian Federation suffer from its location, physical features, and climate? What is unique about the Transcaucasus area in terms of climate?
· The Russian Federation covers a large area (more than 10,000 kilometers east-west and more than 2500 kilometers north-south); it takes a full week to travel by train from St. Petersburg in the west to Vladivostok in the east. Russia is also predominantly northern, with nearly half its territory north of 60 degrees north latitude. Winters are generally long and cold, which keeps most ports and navigable rivers frozen or impassable for many months each year. With few peninsulas and with coastlines that are frozen for most of the year, Russia has little …show more content…
· Foreign capital has focused on primary resource extraction (fuels, etc.) and not manufacturing, leading to little diversification in industry.
· Half the government’s budget has been absorbed in repaying debt.
· There remains little in the way of civil or business codes to mediate the private sector, and the banking system has no effective accounting system.
· Regional ethnic mafiyas (crime organizations) have filled the gap.
· The purchasing power of people’s wages has fallen below 1950s levels.
Explain the tensions in Nagorno-Karabakh. What is Russia’s role there today?
· Nagorno-Karabakh in Azerbaijan is 75 percent Armenian. Although allowed by the Soviet Union to petition for succession, the Armenian population was not allowed by Azerbaijan to break away. Civil war quickly followed ethnic violence by both groups. The Armenian military secured Nagorno-Karabakh and maintains a supply route through Azerbaijan to Armenia. Russian forces act as peacekeepers, and a tense peace currently exists. Nagorno-Karabakh lies in the path of a proposed international oil pipeline from Caspian Sea oilfields to the Black Sea.
What is a civil society and what does it need in order to flourish?
· “Civil society involves the presence of a network of voluntary…