Study your flashcards anywhere!

Download the official Cram app for free >

  • Shuffle
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Alphabetize
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Front First
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Both Sides
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Read
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
Reading...
Front

How to study your flashcards.

Right/Left arrow keys: Navigate between flashcards.right arrow keyleft arrow key

Up/Down arrow keys: Flip the card between the front and back.down keyup key

H key: Show hint (3rd side).h key

A key: Read text to speech.a key

image

Play button

image

Play button

image

Progress

1/5

Click to flip

5 Cards in this Set

  • Front
  • Back
What disorder does H. pylori most commonly cause?
90% of patients with duodenal ulcers(chronic non-steroidal anti inflammatory drug use accounts for the other 10%.
How can H. pylori be biochemically characterized?
Catalase positive, oxidase positive, and urease positive. Urease, an important pathogenic factor, produces ammonia and bicarbonate that neutralizes gastric acids.
How is H. pylori diagnosed?
Invasive(endoscopy) or non-invasive(serology or patients drink C14-labeled urea which is hydrolyzed to ammonia and labeled CO2 that is detected in their breath.
What are the long term consequences of H. pylori infection?
Chronic gastritis, gastric adenocarcinoma, and mucosa associated lymphoid tumor(MALT), type B lymphoma
What is the combination of medications used to treat H. pylori infection?
Triple therapy, originally included bismuth salts, metronidazole, and either ampicillin or tetracycline. The current regimen of choice is a proton pump inhibitor, amoxicillin, and clarithromycin.