Study your flashcards anywhere!

Download the official Cram app for free >

  • Shuffle
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Alphabetize
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Front First
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Both Sides
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Read
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
Reading...
Front

How to study your flashcards.

Right/Left arrow keys: Navigate between flashcards.right arrow keyleft arrow key

Up/Down arrow keys: Flip the card between the front and back.down keyup key

H key: Show hint (3rd side).h key

A key: Read text to speech.a key

image

Play button

image

Play button

image

Progress

1/50

Click to flip

50 Cards in this Set

  • Front
  • Back
Closed system
This type of system has little interaction with its environment
The classical viewpoint
The viewpoint emphasized finding ways to manage work more efficiently, had two branches—scientific and administrative.
The quality-management viewpoints
This viewpoint include quality control, quality assurance, and total quality management.
85-15 rule
when things go wrong, there is an 85% chance that the system is at fault, only a 15% chance that the individual worker is at fault.
Edward Deming and Joseph Juran
Quality of Japanese products began to change with the arrival of what two Americans?
learning organization
an organization that actively creates, acquires, and transfers knowledge within itself and is able to modify its behavior to reflect new knowledge.
historical perspective
include three viewpoints—classical, behavioral, and quantitative.
Quantitative management
is the application of management of quantitative techniques, such as statistics and computer simulations.
The classical viewpoints
These viewpoints assumed that their approaches were “the one best way” to manage organizations
Inputs, transformation process, outputs and feedback
What are the four components of a system
Feedback
This is information about the reaction of the environment to the outputs which affects the inputs.
human relations movement
This movement proposed that better human relations could increase worker productivity.
Subsystems
These are parts making up the whole system.
Hierarchy of needs
In 1943 Maslow proposed what theory?
physiological, safety, social, esteem, and self-actualization
What are all of Maslows 5 levels of needs?
Outputs
These are the products, services, profits, losses, employee satisfaction or discontent, and the like that are produced by the organization.
Management science
This field of study focuses on using mathematics to aid in problem solving and decision making.
The systems viewpoint
This viewpoint regards the organization as a system of interrelated parts.
Hawthorne studies
These studies began with an investigation into whether workplace lighting level affected worker productivity
Mary Parker Follett & Lilian Gilbreth
Name two female management researchers mentioned in chapter 2 of your book
Quality
This refers to the total ability of a product or service to meet customer needs.
The contingency viewpoint
This viewpoint emphasizes that a manager’s approach should vary according to—that is, be contingent on—the individual and environmental situation.
Transformation processes
These are the organization’s capabilities in management and technology that are applied to converting inputs into outputs.
Hugo Munsterberg
Who was the First to apply Psychology to Industry
Munsterberg, Mayo and Follett
What three researchers were the first to pioneer the “Early Behaviorists”
Inputs
These are the people, money, information, and materials required to produce an organization’s goods or services.
the Hawthorne effect
Mayo hypothesized what famous effect?
Mary Parker Follett
Instead of following the usual hierarchical arrangement, this researcher thought organizations should become more democratic
Hugo Munsterberg
His ideas led to the field of industrial psychology, the study of human behavior in work places
systems, contingency, and quality-management
The contemporary perspective includes what three perspectives?
A system
This is a set of interrelated parts that operate together to achieve a common purpose.
The behavioral viewpoint
This viewpoint emphasized the importance of understanding human behavior and of motivating employees toward achievement.
Hugo Munsterberg
Called “the father of industrial psychology,”
Abraham Maslow
This researcher believed some human needs must be satisfied before others
The behavioral viewpoint
What viewpoint emphasized the importance of understanding human behavior and of motivating employees toward achievement
Scientific management
This perspective emphasized the scientific study of work methods in order to improve the productivity of individual workers.
Operations management
This field of study focuses on managing the production and delivery of an organization’s products or services more effectively.
Max Weber
who first discussed the term “ideal bureaucracy”
Classical viewpoint
The essence of this viewpoint was that work activity could be approached rationally
Bureaucracy
If you have a A well-defined hierarchy of authority, Formal rules and procedures, A clear division of labor, Impersonality, Careers based on merit you likely have a what?
Total quality management (TQM)
is a comprehensive approach—led by top management and supported throughout the organization—dedicated to continuous quality improvement, training, and customer satisfaction.
Quality control
is defined as the strategy for minimizing errors by managing each stage of production.
Elton Mayo
Who conducted the Hawthorne studies?
Theory Y
McGregor’s optimistic, positive view of workers
operations research (OR)
In World War II, Americans used the British model to form these types of teams to determine how to deploy military equipment most effectively.
An open system
This type of system continually interacts with its environment.
Quality assurance
This is focused on the performance of workers, using employees to strive for “zero defects.”
Henry Fayol
His most important work, General and Industrial Management, was translated from French into English in 1930
Fayol
Who was the first to systemize the study of management behavior
Administrative management
This field of management was Pioneered by Fayol and Weber