Study your flashcards anywhere!

Download the official Cram app for free >

  • Shuffle
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Alphabetize
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Front First
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Both Sides
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Read
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off

How to study your flashcards.

Right/Left arrow keys: Navigate between flashcards.right arrow keyleft arrow key

Up/Down arrow keys: Flip the card between the front and back.down keyup key

H key: Show hint (3rd side).h key

A key: Read text to speech.a key


Play button


Play button




Click to flip

32 Cards in this Set

  • Front
  • Back
The enzymes ______, _____ and _______ are synthesized in pancreatic acini and released in an inactive form
amylase, lipase, peptidase
____________ stimulates relase of pancreatic enzymes
CCK (cholecystokinin)
_________ stimulates the release of bicarbonate
t/f Pancreatic enzymes are found in trace amounts in the blood normally; elevated levels of these enzymes can be an indicator of pancreatic disease
True; True
increased serum amylase is indicitave of _____ ________
acute pancratitis
increased serum lipase is indicative of _________
80% of the cases of acute pancreatitis are due to _______ and _______; the cause of the other 20% is ___________
80% gallstones and excessive alcohol; 20% idiopathic
This malabsorption syndrome is associated with alcohol abuse or cholesystitis in 70-80% of the cases and is characteristic of destruction of islet cells.
Chronic Pancreatitis
_____% of pancreatic neoplasms are malignant and rarely occur under age _____.
95%, age 40
a patient presents with abdominal pain radiating to the back, obstrutive jaundice; distended palpable gallbladder. What do you suspect?
90% of insulinomas (also called ____ _____ tumors) are (malignant or benign)
beta cell tumors, benign
a gulcagonoma is also called ______ _______ tumor and is usually (benign or malignant)
alpha cell tumor; benign
one of the biggest indicators for pancreatic tumors is ______-
type of diabetes: Sudden onset
type 1
type of diabetes: after age 30
type 2
type of diabetes: normal body weight
type 1
type of diabetes: normal insulin levels
type 2
type of diabetes: antibodies to beta cells
type 1
type of diabetes: familiary history more common
type 2 (60%) - type 1 is only (20%)
ketoacidosis is common in type ____ diabetes but not in type ____
ketoacidosis common in I, but not in II
less complications are seen in type ___ diabetes
there is a _____% concordance in twins with type 1 diabetes and a ____% concordance in twins with type II
50% (type I), 90% (type II)
Zollinger Ellison syndrome is caused by
recurrenet peptic ulcers
somatostatinomas are ____ cell tumors and present with mild diabetes, malabsorption, etc.
Amyloidosis is common in type __ diabetes; and fibrosis is common in type ___
t/f it is more common to see a hypoglymeic diabetic patient than hyperglycemi
true (according ot dr hess)
how can you assess if a patent is well controlled diabetic
acts them what their Hba1c is (yes, "acts" was written for you nick)
what are the normal values of hba1c?
normal is below 6.5%, 8.5-10% is bad, and 10.5-14% is really bad
which of the following will NOT help better manage a diabetic patient? Morning appointments, ask them what they act like when they are hypoglycemic, make sure their a1c levels are sufficently elevated, give them insulin before treatment
you shouldn't give them insulin (duuh) and elevated glucose levels are what you want, not elevated Hba1c. Hba1c should be as low as possible
The kidney basement membrane becomes thicker and less permeable with poorly controlled diabetes
false ; becomes thicker, but more permeable
kimmelsteil wilson disease is common in people with the disease__________ and affects the ________ (which organ of the body)
long standing or poorly controled diabetes; kidneys
which of the following is not an anatomic change in diabetic patients: cataracs, peripheral neuropathy, fatty change in liver, xanthoma, abcesses/fungal lesions, gangrene
(none of the above) all are symptoms