Study your flashcards anywhere!

Download the official Cram app for free >

  • Shuffle
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Alphabetize
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Front First
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Both Sides
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Read
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off

How to study your flashcards.

Right/Left arrow keys: Navigate between flashcards.right arrow keyleft arrow key

Up/Down arrow keys: Flip the card between the front and back.down keyup key

H key: Show hint (3rd side).h key

A key: Read text to speech.a key


Play button


Play button




Click to flip

11 Cards in this Set

  • Front
  • Back
Functional capacity assoc. w/ civil commitment
Capacity to refrain from "dangerous" behavior
Functional capacity assoc. w/ treatment over objection
Capacity to give informed consent
Functional capacity assoc. w/ testamentary capacity
Capacity to make a will
Functional capacity assoc. w/ guardianship
Capacity to make personal or financial decisions
Functional capacity assoc. w/ insanity
Capacity to understand right from wrong or control behavior
Functional capacity assoc. w/ trial competence
Capacity to understand trial and assist in defense
Functional capacity assoc. w/ disability
Capacity to work
Functional capacity assoc. w/ child custody
Capacity to parent
What four functional factors should you consider in assessing a pt?
(four ?s that you should ask)
Can pt. communicate about proposed treatment?

Can pt. understand facts relevant to proposed decision?

Does pt. have appreciation of current illness?
(does pt. appreciate how informed consent relates to situation?)

Does pt. have the ability to rationally manipulate information?
Which functional question is the most abstract?
(has most potential for imposing your own values)
Does pt. have the ability to rationally manipulate information?

Often times, physician will impose own views of what is "rational"
You feel pt. is unable to give/refuse consent

STILL, he/she may not be legally incompetent

Who can override the pts. opinion or speak for them?
(in what different circumstances)
If pt. is NOT protetsing treatment, family member can give consent

If pt. IS protesting treatment, only GUARDIAN can override
(guardianship hearing or judicial authorization is required)