Study your flashcards anywhere!
Download the official Cram app for free >
- Shuffle Toggle OnToggle Off
- Alphabetize Toggle OnToggle Off
- Front First Toggle OnToggle Off
- Both Sides Toggle OnToggle Off
- Read Toggle OnToggle Off
How to study your flashcards.
Right/Left arrow keys: Navigate between flashcards.right arrow keyleft arrow key
Up/Down arrow keys: Flip the card between the front and back.down keyup key
H key: Show hint (3rd side).h key
A key: Read text to speech.a key
3 Cards in this Set
What is Hypoxic Vasoconstriction (HPV)?
A Reflex intrapulmonary feedback mechanism in inhomogeneous lungs to improve gas exchange and arterial oxygenation.
What is the difference between central hypoxemia and pulmonary hypoxemia?
In central hypoxemia vasodilation occurs in the general circulation it has the opposite effect on pulmonary arteries.
What efffect does HPV have on one-lung ventilation?
1. decreases the cardiac output to the nonventilated lung from 40% (lateral position) to 20% to 25%.
2. Shunt flow increases from 10% to 27%
3. PaO2 decreases from >400mmHg to <200 mmHg