• Shuffle
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Alphabetize
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Front First
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Both Sides
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Read
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
Reading...
Front

Card Range To Study

through

image

Play button

image

Play button

image

Progress

1/72

Click to flip

Use LEFT and RIGHT arrow keys to navigate between flashcards;

Use UP and DOWN arrow keys to flip the card;

H to show hint;

A reads text to speech;

72 Cards in this Set

  • Front
  • Back
她是當今體育界最受矚目的運動員之一,
She's one of the highest-profile athletes in sports today,
是網球界的頂尖明星之一。
one of the biggest stars in the world of tennis.
瑪麗亞.莎拉波娃曾經分別五度取得世界第一的頭銜。
Maria Sharapova has held the title of World Number One on five separate occasions.
此外,根據《富比士》雜誌,她也是全球收入最高的女性運動員。
And, according to "Forbes", she's also the highest-paid female athlete on the planet.
莎拉波娃從小就是神童,
A child prodigy with a remarkable story,
背後有則非凡的故事,她十七歲時擊敗小威廉絲而一戰成名。
it was her Wimbledon victory over Serena Williams at the age of 17 that put her on the map.
模特兒般的外貌對她的名氣也不無加分的效果,
Her runway looks didn't hurt either,
她不但登上《運動畫刊》的封面,
appearing on the cover of "Sports Illustrated"
也在體育及時尚界取得了酬勞豐厚的代言合約。
and landing lucrative endorsement deals in sport and fashion.
目前才二十五歲的她,已囊括將近三十項單打冠軍。
Today, at just 25, she has nearly 30 singles titles to her name.
她在今年的法國網球公開賽(註:官方全名為 Touroi de Roland-Garros)贏得冠軍之後,已達成了生涯大滿貫,
And after her win at Roland Garros this year, she would complete a Career Grand Slam,
成為少數在四大網球賽都曾獲得冠軍的女子選手之一。
becoming one of few women to win all four major tennis championships.
我們來談談你的人生故事,因為這實在是挺不尋常的。
Let's talk about your personal story, because it's pretty remarkable.
你的家人就住在車諾比核能災變發生地以北,
Your family was living north of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster.
在災變之後匆忙逃亡,而你就在幾個月後出生。
And your family fled. And you were born several months later.
怎麼……我是說,顯然你當時才剛出生,
What... I mean, obviously, you were a newborn,
但後來你和父母談起那段經歷,他們記得些什麼?
but talking with your parents, what do they remember about that time?
是啊,那是一段很不可思議的時光,在他們的人生中也是如此,
Yeah, it was a very strange time, and also in their lives, as well,
因為我爸媽都是來自白俄羅斯,
because both of my parents were from Belarus,
我媽媽就是在那裡懷了我。
and that's where my mom was pregnant with me.
後來發生了車諾比事件,他們檢視了其他選項,
And then Chernobyl hit and, you know, they looked at other options
然後搬到俄國,搬到西伯利亞,那裡是我外公工作的地方。
and they left to Russia, to Siberia, where my mother's father was working there.
那可以說是通往我的人生的道路,
And that was kind of the path towards, you know, my life.
因為我就是在那裡出生的。
That's where I, you know, where I was born.
兩年後,我們搬到俄國南部的索契,比較溫暖一點。我就在那裡從四歲開始打網球。
Two years later, we moved to the southern part of Russia -- little warmer -- in Sochi. And that's where I started playing tennis at the age of four.
那故事也很有趣,就你怎麼開始打網球而言。
And that story is pretty interesting, as to how you got started in playing tennis.
也許你可以說明一下。
Maybe explain a little bit.
你爸爸交了個朋友……
Your father became friends with...
是的,他和耶夫戈尼的爸爸成為朋友。
Yeah. Yevgeny's father, right.
耶夫戈尼.卡菲尼可夫的爸爸,而耶夫戈尼是俄國最有名的網球選手之一。
Yevgeny Kafelnikov's father, and Yevgeny being one of the most famous Russian tennis players.
對,是啊。現在回顧起當年那個時代,網球在我們國內根本不是很受重視的運動。
Yeah. Yeah, well, you know, looking back at those years, tennis was not very big in our country at all.
沒有多少網球設施,
Not many facilities.
所以狀況很艱苦。耶夫戈尼.卡菲尼可夫
So the conditions were very difficult and Yevgeny Kafelnikov,
在當時是我們國內的大明星,特別是在網球還不是很受重視的時候,
who was a big star in our country at the time, especially when tennis wasn't so big, really,
他確實讓我們認識了這項運動。
really brought tennis on the map for us.
他是我們那裡的第一位大明星,正好就來自我們住的鎮上。
That was our first big star there, and he happened to be from the town where we were living.
我爸爸和他的爸爸成了朋友,
And my father had become friends with his father,
於是耶夫戈尼給了我生平中第一把網球拍,而且我們還得切短一點。
and Yevgeny passed on my first racket to me, which we had to cut.
我們必須將手把切短,因為那太長了。
We had to cut the grip, because it was too long.
網球拍的長度,可能比我四歲時的身高還長。
It was probably longer than I was at the age of four.
我就是這麼開始的。
And that's how I started.
對於十歲、十一歲、十二歲天賦優異而且真心想要打職業網球的年輕人,你會給什麼樣的忠告?
What advice would you have for a talented, young 10, 11, 12-year-old who really wants to play professional tennis?
你會對他或她說什麼?
What would you say to [him or] her?
我想,到了那個節骨眼,一個人若是真的很想要什麼,
I think, at that point, when someone wants something so much,
你大概說什麼都阻止不了他們,
there is not a lot that you're gonna tell them which will, maybe, stop them or...
即使你覺得他們的潛力不夠。
if you feel like they don't have enough potential.
我認為比較重要的是必須讓父母知道實際的狀況,
I think it's more about being realistic with the parents
而父母也必須對子女的事業抱持實際的觀點。
and the parents having a realistic vision about their kid's career.
你也知道,有時候父母也許在子女身上看到很多潛力,
You know, sometimes the parents see a lot of potential in their kid,
但有時候可能沒有足夠的錢,
but sometimes don't have enough money,
而金錢在這門運動中是一大關鍵,
which is, you know, a huge key in this sport,
因為要從無到有培養一個神童,花費非常高昂。
because it's extremely expensive to raise a prodigy up from nothing.
所以,必須要設法取得金援。
You know, getting that financial help.
不過,也得要理解,如果你的孩子不夠優秀,就必須放手。
But also realizing, if your kid is not good enough, to let it go.
這是一項非常艱難的決定,我真心認為這是我們能夠成功的一部分原因,
That's such a tough decision and I... you know, I honestly think that's why part of our success was
因為我認為我爸媽從來都不怕返回俄國,回歸他們的正常生活。
because I don't think my parents ever were afraid to go back to Russia and go back to their normal life.
他們從來不把這樣的情形視為失敗。
You know, they never saw it as a failure.
你也從事了設計工作。
And you've also been doing design work as well.
這是你為了網球生涯結束後的人生所做的準備嗎?是企圖替未來未雨綢繆嗎?
Is this partly preparing for life after tennis and trying to sort of think, maybe, further down the track?
是啊,我打完網球之後,肯定不會讓自己空著雙手。
Yeah. I definitely have never seen myself empty-handed when I finish tennis.
我不是那種喜歡回到家裡連續好幾天光坐在沙發上什麼都不做的人。
And I'm not a person that likes to come home and just sit on the couch for days on end and not do anything.
我坐不住,
I get very antsy.
總是想要做些什麼事,
I wanna put my hands in things.
想要腦力激盪一些構想。
I wanna brainstorm ideas.
我總是……我會看看現況,然後說:「哦,耐吉的期限快到了,
I always... I look now and I'm like, "Oh, we have deadlines for Nike.
我必須決定那些顏色和材質。」
I've gotta sign off on those colors and materials."
還有,「那個包裹在哪裡,我得……我正在為可汗設計下一個系列,
You know, "where's that package I'm supposed to... I'm working on my next Cole Haan collection.
那些樣本在哪裡呢?我還沒收到。」
Where are those samples? I haven't received them yet."
我過去兩年來投入糖波娃的產品,
You know, the Sugarpova stuff I've worked on for the last two years
現在重點就在於推出這些產品公諸於世。
and now it's really about getting it out to the world.
我現在能做的事情不多,
There's not really much that I can do right now,
可是實在樂趣十足。
but it's so much fun.