Essay on What is Islamic Finance?
What is Islamic Finance?
Islamic finance is a financial system that operates according to Islamic law (which is called sharia) and is, therefore, sharia-compliant. Just like conventional financial systems, Islamic finance features banks, capital markets, fund managers, investment firms, and insurance companies. However, these entities are governed both by Islamic law and the finance industry rules and regulations that apply to their conventional counterparts. Therefore, islamic finance is to be assets based as oppose to the currency based whereby investment structured on exchange or ownership of assets, and money is simply mechanism for transaction process. It would based on two sources which are Al-Quran and As-Sunnah. …show more content…
7. Also in 1990, the Islamic Bond Market emerged when first tradeable (Sukuk) were issues by Shell MDS in Malaysia.
8. In 1996, Citibank began to offer Islamic banking services when it established the Citi Islamic Investment Bank in Bahrain.
9. In 1999, the Dow Jones Islamic Market Index (DJIMI) was established, becoming the first successful benchmark for the performance of Islamic Investment Funds.
10. In 2002, the Malaysia-based Islamic Financial Services Board(IFSB) was established as an international standard setting body for Islamic financial institutions.
11. In 2004, the Islamic Bank of Britain became the first islamic commercial bank established outside the Muslim world.
In total, more than 500 Islamic financial institutions have been established worlwide since the 1970s, including about 300 Islamic banks. Several institutions are established to create and support a robust financial system i.e: International Islamic Financial Market (IIFM), International Islamic Rating Agency (IIRA), General Council of Islamic Banks and Financial Institutions(CIBAFI) and Arbitration and Reconciliation Centre for Islamic Financial Institutions (ARCIFI).
The current issues that always happens in Islamic finance are there wolud be the absence of liquidity, the risky involved in