Essay on Interracial Adoption

2205 Words 9 Pages
Imagine being a child without a family, longing for to be living in place to call home you, and feeling incomplete because you do not have a place where you belong. Many children in foster care or orphanages are faced with similar feelings. Children who live in the United States often wait years to be adopted and in most cases, the minority children wait twice as long to be placed with families of their own ethnic background. One article by Linda Johnson Price, the president and CEO of Ebony magazine and a woman who was also adopted, discussed the fact that there are around 500,000 children in foster care waiting to be placed into a home and that close to 45 percent of those children are black (Rice, 2007). She also specifies that the …show more content…
After the home study is concluded, the child will be slowly integrated into the home, and eventually the parents will be allowed to keep the child. The adoption will be finalized after all the necessary and legal paperwork is complete (Child Welfare Information, 2009). The elements agencies consider when placing a child are the candidate’s socioeconomic background, age, and even the race or nationality of the prospect. In most states the general age to be eligible to adopt a child begins around the early to mid-twenties (Child Welfare Information, 2009). It is reasonably assumed that by the time a person reaches this age that they are capable of caring for themselves; however it is not the only factor. The next qualification agencies examine is the ability for the family to provide care of the child. One author named Gordon Johnson wrote an article that addressed the fact that candidates who receive government assistance such as welfare, single individuals, or those who live in apartments are usually ineligible to adopt which is a policy that may need to be addressed to reduce the number of children waiting for placement (Johnson, 2008). One author named Nadirah Sabir who has written several articles regarding race relations brought attention to the percentage of white Americans versus the minorities who adopt children. The research showed that around 66.6% of white Americans adopt children and the remaining 33.4% are minorities and of that percentage 23.6%

Related Documents