Writing Analysis : ' I Love You, Joe ' On A Slate Essay

795 Words Apr 22nd, 2016 4 Pages
In 1907, “School Days” rose to the top of the charts, courtesy of Will Cobb (Hanlin). However, 110 years later—while the ‘reading’ and ‘rithmetic’ skills live on—the fate of ‘riting’ hangs in the balance. In 2016, the romantic act of writing “I love you, Joe” on a slate, or even a piece of paper, seems archaic, at best. World War II love letters, beautifully written in cursive writing, now live behind glass cases in museums, unreadable to most of the younger population. The historic documents that formed the foundation of the United States of America, written in painstakingly perfect cursive, appear as hieroglyphics to many school-aged children. The need to access primary sources for research papers becomes infinitely more difficult for college students unable to read cursive writing. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, the individual creativity unleashed by cursive writing becomes constrained. In this author’s view, these few examples, illustrate the necessity of retaining cursive writing in school curricula. In 2010, with the implementation of the Common Core State Standards Initiative, 44 states (plus the District of Columbia, four territories and the Department of Defense Education Activity) no longer require cursive writing in the curricula of U.S. schools (Common Core State Standards). The Common Core State Standards Initiative encompasses 85% of course standards, leaving 15% for “free time” (NASBE). Although local teachers, principals, superintendents and school…

Related Documents