Video Game Industry Analysis
The Supreme Court ruled against this in their 2011 court case mentioned later in this paper under legal factors. The media and government officials still believe that there is a link between the two, despite the fact that there have been multiple psychological studies done to debunk it (Greenburg, 2013). Gun violence is huge issue within the American Society and people are searching for anything to place the blame upon. Video games quite frequently contain violence involving guns, such as, military themed games or crime based games. Since these games are available to and played by a large portion of the population it is easy to place the blame on them. Politicians should make sure they are focusing on the facts and ignoring the media to make informed decisions about video …show more content…
The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) published its 2016 report explaining the sales, demographics, and usage data of the video gaming industry. The Essential Facts about the Computer and Video Game Industry includes the following key facts:
• 63% of American households are home to at least one person who plays video games regularly.
• The average video game player is 35 years old and has been playing video games for 13 years (three or more hours a week).
• More than half of the most frequent video game players are familiar with virtual reality; among those, 40% say they will likely purchase VR within the next year.
• Half of the most frequent gamers surveyed say they are familiar with professional video game competitions.
• Of the study’s respondents, 45% follow eSports on social media, 40% follow coverage on cable TV, and 38% stream coverage