Token Ring Network Essay
2. What directs the flow of data over the network? A switch/hub/router directs the flow of data over the network.
3. What are the three functions of network software?
The three functions of the network software are:
To make sure that the information is addressed properly.
To organise information into packets (a series of messages that a file is broken down into) on the sending workstation and putting the packets back to make a file on the receiving workstation.
To check that each packet reaches the designated workstation.
4. What are the …show more content…
13. What is the "token" in a token ring network?
A token is a special signal and the computer has the token, can transmit data. The token in a token ring network is used to prevent collision as no device can transmit data without the token. When the token is available to the workstation, it attaches the data to the token and the token then carries the data to its designated location.
14. How do workstations know that a message can be sent in a token ring network?
When the sending device removes the message from the token, it changes the signal to indicate that the token is available and then sends the token along the network. Through this message, the workstations know that a message can now be sent.
15. How does a network card determine that a message is meant for a particular device?
Each packet of data that is sent, contains the unique IP address of the workstation that the data is meant for. The network card identifies the workstation using the IP address and sends the packet to the designated computeréworkstation.
16. After a message has been read, what happens to the token and the …show more content…
Each file is sent as a series of messages. What is the name of each of these messages? The series of messages that the file is sent as are called packets.
19. What part of the network divides a file into packets? The network software on the sending workstation divides a file into packets.
21. What part of the network reassembles the packets into a complete file?
The network software on the receiving workstation reassembles the packets into a complete file.
22. What are the three main network topologies?
The three main network topologies are:
Ring Topology: Computers are connected in a ring/loop where the data packets travel from one computer to the next until they reach their designated workstation and data flows only in one direction.
Bus Topology: All workstations are connected to one large cable called a backbone or bus.
Star Topology: All workstations are connected to the a central device that is switch, router or hub. All data passes through the central device to reach the designated workstation.
23. Draw, and label, diagrams illustrating the three types of network topologies.
24. Provide one advantage and one disadvantage for each of the three main network topologies.
The advantage and disadvantage of each network topology are: