Essay on The Value Chain Includes Six Channels
1. Technology Development: Harlequin does not use a clear technology, however the company’s process choices and requirements establish consistency and recognition for consumers.
2. Product Design: Harlequin products are standardized, meaning they share a common style and format. The series are similar in “content, length, artwork size, basic formats, and print.” All Harlequin books are consistent in design, measuring 105 millimeters by 168 millimeters , and in retailer placement, selling on the shelves of supermarkets and drugstores . Harlequin products are differentiated and distinctive. The product lines consist of eight different series, from Harlequin American Romance to Harlequin Temptation. Even with a variety of products, brand recognition is high among consumers.
3. Manufacturing: Harlequin subcontracts its printing requirements but enjoys favorable pricing in comparison to its competitors. Harlequin series-books each cost about $0.44 while the average cost of a single-title book is $0.88.
4. Marketing: Harlequin’s previous market efforts centered around television. However, marketing efforts eventually shifted towards print media. Advertisements typically feature one of Harlequin’s series and run in women’s magazines, such as Cosmopolitan, Glamour, Redbook, Good Housekeeping, and People.
5. Distribution: Standardized…