The Pros And Cons Of Childcare

1271 Words 6 Pages
When I was little, I used to play "house" with my younger sister and our dolls. Because I was the oldest, I was always the Mother. My doll 's duties were consistently the same. My character would wake up, prepare breakfast, take the child to school, clean the house, read a book, bring the child home from school, make dinner, put the child to bed and go to sleep. We played this game almost everyday in our fully finished basement in our house at 1842 North Fremont street. This imaginary lifestyle was influenced by my mother. My mom stayed at home and took care of us while my dad held a steady job at the family business. Money was never an issue for our family, and poverty was an easy problem to forget while growing up in Lincoln Park-- a majority …show more content…
In 2012, 23.4% of children were enrolled in some form of childcare, whether it was nurseries, in-home Nannies, or Preschools (Glynn). The problem with the day care system today, is that the average cost of full-day child care can deplete the majority of a paycheck-- and can add up to as much as college tuition. In Chicago alone, childcare care for an infant can cost around $13,000. For a minimum wage worker, day care would consume around 75% of their paycheck. This leaves only a mere 25% to pay for rent, food, and any other expenses. This ratio is not sustainable and not practical, especially for mothers with more than one child (Hasbrouck). Families without enough income for high quality childcare resort to cheaper options. Studies have shown that low quality day care can cause behavioral problems and academic failures, making a student 's future educational and social life more difficult. In a study conducted from 1991 - 2010, researchers found that teenagers that had been enrolled in higher quality childcare had less behavioral problems, such as fighting, bullying, or arguing, and better academic scores. On the other hand, children in poorer quality day care showed signs of more risky behavior and more impulsivity lasting though their teenage years …show more content…
"Pathway of Hope" is a program that provides each mother with a counselor that helps them create a wholistic plan including medical, educational, legal, and household support, as well as employment education and guidance (Pathway of Hope). For the Antoinette Chambers-Currin and her family, "Pathway of Hope" helped them keep a roof over their head and food on their plates. While on the brink of eviction, Antoinette turned to the Salvation Army in Chicago, originally just looking for help with clothing and food. They found so much more. The Chambers-Currin family received intense counseling to help break the cycle of poverty, and now are working towards being independent from the program. Her children are also active at the Temple Corps Community Center, which provides after school services like sports, tutoring, and life skills, as an alternative to childcare or being home alone (Angela). "Pathway of Hope" has helped families around the United States, as well as 125 other countries, regain economic stability and take control of their financial

Related Documents