The Ontological Argument For The Existence Of God Essay
1. Lay out and explain the distinction between an a priori argument for the existence of God and an a posteriori argument for the existence of God and identify which type of argument the Ontological Argument is and which type of argument the Cosmological Argument is.
• A Posterior Argument: Relies substantively on empirical promises, sensory experience, and observations. o The cosmological argument is an a posterior argument
• A Priori Argument: Doesn’t rely substantively on empirical promises. An a priori argument is based off of theory instead of actual observations. o The ontological argument is an a priori argument.
2. Fully lay out and explain Anselm’s version of the Ontological Argument for the Existence of God.
• The Being Then Which No Greater Can Be Conceived (BNGC) o Assume the BNGC exists in conception, but not in reality. o If BNGC exists in conception, but nor in reality, then there is a possible greater being, a BNGC that exists in both conception and reality. o There is a being greater than the BNGC
♣ Contradiction, there can’t be a being greater than the greatest being, therefore, God exists
3. Fully lay out and explain Descartes’s version of the Ontological Argument for the Existence of God.
• God is the most perfect being o Assume the most perfect being doesn’t exist o If the most perfect being doesn’t exist, then there is a more perfect being then the most perfect being. o There’s a more perfect being then the…