The Negative Effects Of Rape And Sexual Assault On College Campuses
These encounters can have psychological, emotional, and physical effects on an individual. PTSD (Post- Traumatic Stress Disorder) is a coming effect of sexual assault. It is normal for an individual to experience anxiety, stress, or fear after a frightening event. According to RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) state that STD’s, self-harm, flashbacks, depression, and substance abuse are only a few of the negative effects of sexual assaults. Each year, rape results in about 32,000 pregnancies (dosomething.org). Although the ability to bare a child is often a miracle, this is sadly not the way to celebrate the birth of a child. Sexual assault can alter a way an individual thinks and acts. It can change someone dramatically. This is why there needs to be put to …show more content…
Although it will probably never be fully stopped, there are ways to minimize the number of victims each year. A new website called, It’s On Us.org has stated a pledge for all individuals to help put sexual assault to rest. On the website they have stated many helpful and useful resources to become more involved. Here are a few tips listed on their website:
1. Talk to your friends honestly and openly about sexual assault.
2. Don’t just be a bystander, if you see something intervene in anyway you can
3. Trust your gut, If it looks like a bad situation, it probably is.
4. Be direct. Ask someone who might look like they need help.
5. Get someone to help you if you see something. (RA, bartender, friend, or host).
6. Keep an eye on someone who has had too much to drink or someone who is trying to make an individual intoxicated.
This website has many more tips. This pledge focuses on helping each other and getting in the way before anything can happen to an individual. Most importantly this pledge reminds individuals to never blame the victim. Sexual assault incidents are never a moment to be light hearted, or over looked. The organization RAIIN also provide on their website some useful tips, if an individual is alone on how to stop sexual