The Effect Of Colonization On The Congo And Belgium

893 Words 4 Pages
The history of a country is significant to the country because it has shaped it to be what it is today. Not only is it important to the country but to the society, as a famous quote went; "people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots". One significant historical event to not only a country and society but to a whole continent was the colonization of almost all the African countries by the European countries. In the 19th and 20th century the Europeans begun to colonize Africa. In fact, by 1900 most of Africa had been colonized by Europe and this event was known as the "Scramble for Africa" in which the Europeans had invaded, exploited and occupied most of Africa. By the 1910s Europe had colonized 90% of Africa and the remaining 10% consisted of only Ethiopia and Liberia. The Europeans wanted to simply exploit the African countries for many natural resources in order to have economic increases for their country.

Related Documents