Crossword puzzles, Word jumbles, Scrabble
• Word Wall in the classroom
The Purpose and Benefits of Assessment
The purpose of effective reading instruction to promote literacy growth, first new teachers need to know students’ literacy strengths and weaknesses. All students do not learn the same way, meaning, students come into the classroom with diverse backgrounds, whether being a strong, struggling, reluctant, or ELL student. Therefore, creating reading instruction that is tailored to the individual needs are important. Through initial and ongoing assessment, the student’s needs can be met.
Get Parents Involved!
• In the beginning of the school year, ask parents to fill out a questionnaire about their child.
– Have parents describe areas in which they would like to see their child improve.
– Have parents describe their child 's personality and interests.
• Parents can get involved at home by reading with their children and helping with homework.
• Have monthly parent literacy meetings and workshops. Encourage parents of ELL students to become active as well.
• Parents are the most important factor in a child 's education, please involve parents as much as