Distracted Driving Changes

Improved Essays
One Decision Can Change It All
Next time you’re at a stoplight, look around you. Chances are most of the people you see behind the wheel will be distracted in some way, such as texting. Besides cell phone use,“Distracted driving is any activity that could divert a person 's attention away from the primary task of driving. All distractions endanger driver, passenger, and bystander safety” (US. National Highway). According to the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, distracted driving is more than just using your cell phone or doing other things that cause you to take your eyes off the road. It can be taking your hands off the wheel to grab something or your mind being distracted by your thoughts and emotions (US.CDC). The National Highway
…show more content…
Besides using electronic gadgets, distractions also can include adjusting a radio, eating and drinking, reading, grooming, and interacting with passengers” (qtd. in "Distracted Driving." Cellphone Laws). Distracted driving isn’t a small issue that can just be swept under the rug with other minor problems. The National Council of State Legislators reported that, “ In 2013, approximately 3,154 people in this country died in crashes that involved a distracted driver, and 424,000 people were injured”( "Distracted Driving." National Council of State Legislators). The major problem with distracted driving is people don’t think they are doing anything wrong. According to the U.S National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, “Only about 1 out of 5 young drivers think that texting makes no difference to their driving performance. 68 percent of young drivers 18 to 20 are willing to answer incoming phone calls on some, most, or all driving trips” (US. National Highway). Many people state that they only look down for “a second” or that it is just “one quick text”. The reality is that, “At 55 mph, the average text takes your eyes off the road long enough to cover a football field” (US. CDC). This problem has been constantly ignored and has …show more content…
No, not gambling or drugs, I am talking about the addiction to cell phones and other technology. People depend on technology in our generation. For example, I bet if you asked a teen what they would save if their house was on fire, their cell phone would be one of the first 10 things listed. In the 90’s you could leave your house without a phone and go out with your friends. Now kids can’t leave their house without their phones, it has become a “necessity” in everyday life. The National Safety Council predicts that, “21 percent of all auto collisions in 2013 (1.2 million out of 5.7 million) were linked to the use of handheld or hands-free cell phone use” (qtd. in Hopkins). This cell phone obsession is such an issue that people are willing to risk getting into an accident for it (Drehmer). As a result, Officer Drehmer believes that texting while driving has, “Without a doubt it has gotten worse. Smart phones didn 't exist when I started my career. People weren 't attached to their phones at that time. You only used the phone if you had to make a necessary phone call, not to just have a casual conversation or to kill time while driving. As the technology got better and the price decreased, the usage increased”(Drehmer). Some people may believe that cell phones don’t play a major role in this universal issue and that the two have no correlation.

Related Documents

  • Improved Essays

    Texting requires the use of cognitive, manual, and visual concentration. Texting while driving is arguably the worst distraction to drivers. AAA has found that nearly 1 in 3 drivers (32 percent) admit to typing or sending a text or email over the past month, while eight percent say they do so fairly often or regularly (AAA). In fact, text messaging increases the risk of a car accident or near car accident 23.2 times when compared to the car accident statistics with a non-distracted driver (Top 25 Causes of Car Accidents). Cell phone use while driving has caused a minimum of 26% of all crashes in 2013 (Ones).…

    • 1318 Words
    • 5 Pages
    Improved Essays
  • Decent Essays

    Across the country, most states have laws prohibiting the use of cell phones while driving. Research shows that cell phone use while driving significantly increases the chance of getting into an accident. Car accidents are the leading cause of death in teenagers because a majority of them are distracted drivers. Legislators believe that laws and education will reduce the number of deaths a year. Most Americans support the laws that make distracted driving illegal (Chase).…

    • 1150 Words
    • 5 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Improved Essays

    94 percent of teen drivers acknowledge this fact, but 35 percent admit to doing it regardless of the potential consequences. Eleven teens die every day as a result of texting and driving. Teen drivers are four times as likely to get into or near car crashes compared to adults when talking or texting on a cell phone. If there is a passenger in the car, do not put your life or theirs in danger just because you could not wait five minutes to send a text. Distracted driving is a national problem and continues to get worse every single day.…

    • 950 Words
    • 4 Pages
    Improved Essays
  • Improved Essays

    About 424,000 people were injured in the automobile accident because of a distracted driver. In 2012, about 421,000 people were hurt because of distracted drivers, and 3,328 people were killed because of texter or distracted driver. The National Safety Council says that when the police got on the scene nearly half (48%) teenagers and adults admitted to being on their phones or taking a call when they had caused the…

    • 1442 Words
    • 6 Pages
    Improved Essays
  • Great Essays

    Multitasking is nearly impossible while driving because driving a car takes so much attention. Although there is no exact way to correlate exactly how many car accidents nationally are caused by texting, David Strayer, a psychology professor at the University of Utah, estimates that “only 2% of people are able to safely multitask while driving.” (Cruz Par 2). According to this statistic each individual driver has a very large chance of being part of the 98% of the population that cannot actually do two things at once, such as driving and using a cell phone at once. In the article "The Effects Of Text Messaging During Dual-Task Driving Simulation On Cardiovascular And Respiratory Responses And Reaction Time" written by Andrew Park, a religious author, states that “There is a limit to how much sensory information the brain can perceive and process at a given time” (Par 1). By distracting your brain with other stimulus you don’t allow yourself to properly operate a vehicle.…

    • 1478 Words
    • 6 Pages
    Great Essays
  • Superior Essays

    Are cell phones harmful? Causes 25% of all car accidents. 50% of teens feel addicted. 32,885 driving fatalities in 2013. Sleep deprivation.…

    • 1558 Words
    • 7 Pages
    Superior Essays
  • Improved Essays

    Life is a Highway “According to the CDC, each day, nine people are killed and 1,060 more are injured in crashes that involve a distracted driver” (“Distracted Driving in the United States and Europe”). A text message can wait. So many studies have been and are being conducted on texting and driving and most of the outcomes are negative. After reading this maybe someone that picks up their phone while driving will think about the consequences. Texting while driving reduces the attention people pay to the road, is harmful in all cases, and teens are not the only ones who do it.…

    • 1029 Words
    • 5 Pages
    Improved Essays
  • Superior Essays

    Teen Car Accidents

    • 1851 Words
    • 8 Pages

    Also, the article, “Why Teens Still Aren 't Wearing Seat Belts” states, “According to a recent study from Safe Kids Worldwide, half of all teens killed in car crashes in 2012 were not wearing seat belts” (1). Again, the number one defense is only being used 50% of the time! This is a serious problem and making the laws more strict will help it. Changes to the seat belt, from the help of technology and laws that have been passed, have aided to the decrease of the number of deaths in car accidents. It states in the article Teen Drivers: Get the Facts, “Laws, education, and technology have increased seat belt use from 11% in 1981 to nearly 85% in 2010, saving…

    • 1851 Words
    • 8 Pages
    Superior Essays
  • Improved Essays

    For years, auto safety advocates, car insurance companies and other critics have blamed hand-held cellphones for causing significant distractions and leading to accidents and fatalities (Erie,2013, p. 10). As a result, more than 10 states plus the District of Columbia have banned hand-held phones. Washington D.C. and a majority of states prohibit drivers from using a hand-held cellphone behind the wheel. 82% of teens 16-17 own a cell phone. Studies show that over 95% of teen drivers acknowledge the dangers of texting while driving but 35% still admit to doing it.…

    • 1288 Words
    • 6 Pages
    Improved Essays
  • Improved Essays

    Pros Of Distracted Driving

    • 1119 Words
    • 5 Pages

    At any given daylight moment across America, approximately 660,000 drivers are using cell phones or manipulating electronic devices while driving(“Distracted”). Many teenagers nowadays are able to access their license at the age of 16. Teenagers are already inexperienced drivers, and many of them text and drive. In 2014, 3,179 people were killed, and 431,000 were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving distracted drivers (“Distracted”). It should be a wake up call to every American that over 3,000 people died in 2014 because of distracted driving.…

    • 1119 Words
    • 5 Pages
    Improved Essays