Importance Of Bike Safety In Children
Riding a bike is a fun activity that is good for your child's health. However, it is important that your child knows how to stay safe while biking.
WHAT DOES MY CHILD NEED TO WEAR WHILE BIKING?
Helmets are the most important piece of equipment your child can wear to protect him or herself while riding a bike. Make sure that:
• Your child is always wearing a helmet when he or she is riding a bike and that the straps are fastened.
• Your child is wearing a helmet that is specifically made for biking.
• Your child has a helmet that has been safety-approved. Look for a helmet that has a Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) sticker. Ask the store you are buying the helmet from if you have any questions. …show more content…
Your child should call out that he or she is on the left so that the pedestrian or biker knows he or she is there.
• Never to attach his or her bike to another moving object, vehicle, or pet.
• Always have both hands on the handlebars.
• Always use bike lanes or paths when available.
WHAT SHOULD MY CHILD CHECK BEFORE RIDING HIS OR HER BIKE?
You or your child should always check that:
• Your child's helmet fits properly. Straps can loosen over time.
• The bike's front and back brakes work.
• The bike's tires are inflated properly.
• The seat is at the correct level.
• The chain is not loose, rusted, or making cracking or grinding noises when in use.
WHEN SHOULD MY CHILD AVOID RIDING A BIKE?
Do not let your child ride a bike:
• If the weather conditions are unsafe, such as during a thunder storm or if the roads are icy.
• If it is dark outside. If your child must ride at night, make sure he or she wears bright clothing and has reflectors or lights in the front and back of the bike.
• If your child has been drinking alcohol or using drugs .
• If your child's health care provider has advised your child not to ride a