An Electric Circuit How Do They Work
An electric circuit is a kind of path made up of wires that allows the flow of electrons. The circuit has to be made in a circular form, as the electrons must frequently move in a full loop, in which they will return to their original position and then complete the loop again. (“What is an electric circuit?”) The battery or another source of power provides the voltage, or ‘electrical push’, that makes the electrons move through the circuit. When the electrons reach a device such as a light bulb or a TV, the electrons provide these devices with power in order to make them work. Most circuits include a switch in order to turn them on and off. When the switch is turned off, it creates a gap in the circuit, …show more content…
The main parts of a flashlight include:
• Batteries: The source of power for the light bulb.
• Switch: Allows the flow of electricity when on. When off, the circuit is broken and there is no flow of electricity.
• Light bulb: The source of light in a flashlight. The light bulb can either be a tungsten filament or a light emitting diode (LED). When electricity flows through the tungsten filament or LED, they lit up, which produces light.
• Contacts: A very thin piece of metal that is found in various parts of the flashlight, which connects different parts.
• Reflector: Located behind the light bulb and increases the light output. (“Flashlights 101: How flashlights work”) (“Light Your Way”)
A flashlight is connected in a series circuit, meaning that all the components are connected in one big loop. The batteries are placed in a special way to allow the flow of electricity to run between the negative and positive electrodes. The spring underneath the batteries is linked to a contact strip, which is in contact with one side of the switch. On the other side of switch is another contact strip, which is connected to the light bulb and provides an electrical connection. There is also contact between the lamp and the top of one of the batteries, which completes the circuit and a full