The Expectancy Theory Of Motivation Essay
Expectancy is the belief that increased effort will lead to increased performance i.e. if I work harder then this will be better. This is affected by such things as: 1. Having the right resources available (e.g. raw material, time).
2. Having the right skills to do the job.
3. Having the necessary support to get the job done (e.g. supervisor support, or correct information on the job). Instrumentality is the belief that if you perform well that a valued outcome will be received. The degree to which a first level outcome will lead to the second level outcome. i.e. if I do a good job, there is something in it for me. This is affected by such things as:
1. Clear understanding of the relationship between performance and outcomes – e.g. the rules of the reward ‘game’.
2. Trust in the people who will take the decisions on who gets what outcome.
3. Transparency of the process that decides who gets what outcome.…