The most important aspects of an aircraft, in today’s aerospace industry are environmental friendliness and fuel efficiency. …show more content…
Topology optimisation tool is used to determine the optimal material distribution within a design space when subjected to loads and constraints. The nature of topology optimisation, in most cases, always presents a novel optimised design other from what would have been expected from a conventional optimisation approach. Topology optimisation is a very general form of optimisation because it has the lowest restriction for a predetermined design (Dunning , et al., 2015). Therefore, the method is ideal for exploring novel structural concepts, such as the box wing Aircraft which is unlike the conventional aircraft …show more content…
- To estimate the load cases of the box wing aircraft through CFD analysis and point force.
- To summarise a number of optimisation applications from recent years in order to understand the influence of topology optimisation.
The objectives of this report are:
- To optimise a box wing structure using topology optimisation.
- To analyse the pressure flow and to calculate the aerodynamic pressure loads over the box wing using Computational Fluid Dynamic solver VWT® combined with AcuSolve®.
- Review reports with topology optimisation applications and to use them as a guide in understanding of topology optimisation, its qualities and usefulness.
1.3 Thesis Structure
This thesis consists of 6 Chapters. Chapter 1 provides an introduction and the motivations behind the titled project. Chapter 2 delivers a comprehensive literature review, conducted to understand the fuel efficiency trend of unconventional aircrafts and the benefits of using topology optimisation method. In Chapter 3 a CFD aerodynamic external flow was done over the box wing aircraft to gain the pressure loads. In Chapter 4 several topology optimisations were done in aid to gain the optimal layout of the box wing’s internal structure. Chapter 5 provides a structural interpretation of the concluded results from topology optimisation. In Chapter 6 the conclusion is