Sustainable Tourism Essay
Theory and Practice
(Author: David Weaver)
1. Which of the following represents the correct historical sequence of Jafari’s tourism platforms? a) Adaptancy, cautionary, advocacy, knowledge-based b) Advocacy, adaptancy, cautionary, knowledge-based c) Advocacy, cautionary, adaptancy, knowledge-based d) Advantageous, cautionary, adaptancy, knowledge-based e) None of the above
2. Which one of the following observations about the destination life cycle model is not accurate? a) It has been described as the culmination of the adaptancy tourism platform. b) Major negative impacts within a destination appear during the ‘development’ stage. …show more content…
6. Sustainable tourism is a) the application of sustainable development principles to the tourism sector. b) a major theme of the Brundtland Report. c) a concept that emerged during the cautionary platform. d) all of the above. e) none of the above.
7. With regard to the institutionalization of sustainable tourism, a) the World Travel and Trade Council (WTTC) has been playing a lead role in promoting this concept at an inter-governmental level. b) the World Tourism Organization (WTO) has been the leader in coordinating the efforts of private sector tourism businesses. c) the Rio Earth Summit in 1992 provided a major catalyst for this process. d) environmental organizations such as Conservation International (CI) and The Nature Conservancy (TNC) have not played a significant role. e) none of the above statements is true.
8. Which ONE of the following statements about the knowledge-based platform is not true? a) It argues that decisions about tourism development should be based on objective scientific research. b) It contends that alternative tourism is only a partial solution to global tourism-related problems. c) It is closely associated with the emergence of