Social Issues In Algeria

1022 Words 5 Pages
In order to discuss and analyze procurable effects of the current economic state of Algeria, it is imperative that background information be evident to support the overall claims and verifiable truth of the country economic well-being through erudition of the social, political and economic institutions. Since Algeria’s independence in 1962, they have increasingly progressed their economic well-being in Africa as they began to modernize in 1970 (The World Factbook: ALGERIA, 2016).
Currently, the total population of Algeria, which ranks 34th worldwide, is 40,263,711 people (The World Factbook: ALGERIA, 2016). Comprising the Algerian population are the Arab-Berber and European, which represent 99% and less than 1%, respectively (The World Factbook: ALGERIA, 2016). Further population demographics include that Islam is the official religion of the country, totaling 99% of the population, and Judaism and Christianity make up the remaining 1% of the population (The World Factbook: ALGERIA, 2012). Also, exploring the age structures of Algeria, the median age for both men and women is 27.8 years (The World Factbook: ALGERIA, 2016). Algeria possesses a young age structure with 0-14 years making up 29.06% of the population, 15-24 years is 15.95%, 25-54
…show more content…
The legal system contains a mixture of French civil law and Islamic law with judicial review of legislative acts formed by the Constitutional Council, which is composed of multiple public officials as well as several Supreme Court justices (The World Factbook: ALGERIA, 2016). In Algeria, equal suffrage is granted universally to all citizens over the age of 18; therefore, women are granted the right to vote as well making Algeria a liberal nation compared to other Islamic countries (The World Factbook: ALGERIA,

Related Documents