Essay on Short Story "A Conversation with My Father"
Sample questions on Learning English through Short Stories
Compiled by Melinda Lo
I : Question types:
A. on reading and appreciating short stories
1. A student at your school has posted this blog on the Intranet for your school:
Write a letter in response to this, either agreeing or disagreeing with Keith. Do not give an address and sign your letter ‘Billy Ho.’
2. ‘The best way to improve one’s English is to read short stories.’ Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Write an article for your school magazine expressing your viewpoints on learning English through short stories.
3. Your English teacher, Miss Thomson, wants to …show more content…
11. You are Chris Wong, chairman of the English Society. You will recommend an English short story for your members to discuss in the next meeting. Write an email to your teacher advisor explaining why you think your chosen story will interest your members. Include your comments on how the story ends.
12. You are Chris Wong, a member of the Film-making Society in your school. Your chairman, Ronny Lee, has asked you to suggest a short story which would make a good film. Write an email to him recommending a short story that you have read and explaining why it will make a good film.
13. You have been asked to enter a competition to nominate the best short story you have read. The winning entry will be broadcast on Radio Television Hong Kong. Choose one of the stories you have read in this Elective and write an essay, explaining:
• What kind of short story it is
• What the plot is
• Why it would be suitable for radio broadcast
• Why it appeals to you so much
14. You are the secretary of the school English Club. Last week, you were invited to judge the entries for a short story competition submitted by students. You have been asked to write a report on the qualities of the short stories, the most common themes and the most popular story