Sexual Harassment: Ethical Dilemma In The Workplace
An ethical dilemma in the workplace is sexual harassment and can be a sensitive issue for all parties involved. Additionally, a hostile work environment is one which is “permeated with discriminatory intimidation, ridicule, and insult” (Kimble, 2016, pg. 319, 320). This paper will focus on the issues of these two dilemmas.
Ethical Dilemma – Sexual Harassment and Hostile Work Environment Without taking proper action, sexual harassment can create a hostile work environment. I had a telephone interview with a former office manager who handled human resource management to discuss and ask some questions regarding the ethical dilemma of sexual harassment in the workplace. The questions asked were as follows:
1. How does the company define sexual harassment?
2. Who handles sexual harassment complaints?
3. Is there a written policy regarding sexual harassment and a hostile work environment?
4. What are the procedures for reporting sexual harassment or a hostile work environment?
5. What consequences for the violator regarding sexual harassment?
6. Does sexual harassment or a hostile work environment extend only to employees?
Interview with Patty Hammond …show more content…
They are a certified public accounting firm, Patty has been employed with the company for 20 years. The firm has an employee manual that includes a section on harassment in the workplace. The manual uses the same definition as does the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, EEOC. The EEOC defines sexual harassment as “unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature constitute sexual harassment when this conduct explicitly or implicitly affects an individual's employment, unreasonably interferes with an individual's work performance, or creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive work environment” (EEOC,