Sex Behaviours In Same Sex Relationship
The main idea of “Power Talk” is to create an understanding of how heterosexual couples between 17-19 years old negotiate sexual activity. Allen’s central argument is that while young women perceive themselves as experiencing a measure of power within heterosexual negotiations, men control more power in heterosexual relationships (Allen, 2013, p. 236).
1. The first key term is “negotiation”. Allen uses this term in relation to sexual discussions. For example “the interpersonal communication which takes place during a sexual encounter in order to influence what happens in that encounter in terms of the needs and desires of the two people involved” (Allen, 2013, p. 236).
2. The second key term Allen uses is “power”. …show more content…
I felt as though it could have been displayed in a clearer way.
Sexual Consent Behaviors in Same-Sex Relationships (Beres, Herold & Maitland, 2004).
The main idea of this piece is to analyse behaviours people use to indicate sexual consent to their same-sex partner(s). The central claim made by the authors is that nonverbal behaviours are used more frequently used than verbal behaviours to initiate sexual activity (Beres, Herold & Maitland, 2004, p. 48).
1. A key term used is “consent”. Consent can be defined as giving permission for something to happen or agreement to do something (Oxford Dictionaries, 2015).
2. The second key term used is “coercion”. Coercion reflects an absence of consent (Beres, Herold & Maitland, 2004, p. 475).
3. The third key term is “relationship”. A relationship is typically defined as the way in which two or more people or things are connected (Oxford Dictionaries, 2015). There are four types of relationships; ‘one-night stands’, ‘short-term relationship’, ‘casual dating’ and ‘going out’ (Dempsey & Lindsay, 2014, p. …show more content…
However, my experience differs a little bit, as I did not experience a power play, and I was not left dissatisfied like “Cam” was in Allen’s article. I think this reflects the situations I put myself in and the relationships I immerse myself within. For example, I have not been in a situation where I have feel “dominated” by the young male I am with. I think this is a result of coming from a background with a strong, independent mother who has never been reliant on a male