Science Is The Day Of Science

1724 Words 7 Pages
Today is the day of science. Over the past few decades, scientists of all kinds have been debunking centuries old notions of beliefs, tearing them down, and building a new infrastructure based on proven science. One of the biggest notions is that of human nature. What makes us truly us? Is it the way we are nurtured? That was a belief long, and still, used as proof of how we as humans become the people who we are today. However, today is the day of science. Science is finally going for the KO in this fight, proving that your genes determine who you really are, and not the way you were raised. This notion of belief has come under fire, but so has the first insertion that the sun is at the center of our solar system, or the world is actually …show more content…
More and more evidence will unfold that we are who we are due to our genes, and not through nurture. Today, there is enough evidence that can slightly turn the tides to that of nature. As mentioned, science cannot currently cover all the critiques it is given, and some irrefutable proof still stands that some of our personality is determined by how we are nurtured. An oddity that refutes scientific evidence would be the existence of feral children. In 1920, a little girl was rescued from a wolf den in India (Havliand 121). This girl was described as “wild” and lacked even the most basic personality traits that makes us human. She was not able to walk on two legs or even feed herself (Havliand 121). There have been other reports of feral children as well, for …show more content…
This study was to see what personality traits could be scientifically linked to genes, and this was done by researching monozygotic twins that were separated after birth (Hock 21). Many tests and research was completed by finding sets of monozygotic twins that grew up separately, after finding sets of twins, tests, such as personality trait scales, aptitude and occupational interest inventories, intelligence, and household inventories were assigned to each member of the participants (Hock 22). The results concluded that twins raised apart, showed extremely significant trait relationships with each other, regardless of the environment they were raised in (Hock 23). In the field of intelligence, researchers Bouchard and Lykken both conclude that “Clearly, intelligence is primarily determined by genetic factors (70% of the variation in intelligence appears to be due to genetic influence)” (Hock 24). This still however leaves a remaining 30%, for now, science can only attribute the remainder to environmental factors, however, as science progresses, new studies may come out and find scientific evidence leading to a higher percentage of traits, like intelligence, that genes are directly responsible for. Bouchard and Lykken also correlate job happiness to genes as well (Hock 25). One of the most radical presumptions Bouchard and Lykken express, is the notion that “people’s genetic tendencies actually mold their

Related Documents