Schools as Organisations Level 3 Essay examples

6530 Words Apr 29th, 2013 27 Pages
Unit 10
Schools as organisations

1.1 Identify the main types of state and independent schools

Pre-compulsory
LA nurseries, private day nurseries, childminders, playgroups.

Compulsory
Primary school state and independent, secondary schools state and independent, Academies

Further Education
Sixth form, College, university

1.2 Describe the characteristics of the different types of schools in relation to educational stage and school governance

Local Authority Nurseries

* Usually cater for children aged 3-5yrs, can be attached to a primary school or children’s centre. Usually open term time only. Hrs of 9 – 3.30pm. * Follows the EYFS (early year’s foundation stage). Framework to support a child’s
…show more content…
RE is also provided but children do not need to study this. * 7-11yrs (Juniors) are taught KS2, next stage of the NC * Almost all maintained primary schools 100% state funded by the Dfe and the LA. * Some schools, like church schools are Voluntary Aided. This means that a trust or foundation i.e., the Catholic Church own the buildings, and have influence in the running of the school. All running costs are funded by the LA; however, only 90% of capital costs (building and construction, equipment and materials) are funded by the LA and the remaining 10% by the trust (church). * School governors usually run voluntary aided schools, making decisions on staff employment and the school admission arrangements. * RE is usually taught according to their own faith within their school. * St Teresa’s is a voluntary aided catholic school. State Secondary school * Yrs 7,8,9 (11-14yrs) taught KS3 and modern foreign languages are added to the curriculum * Yrs 10, 11 (14-16yrs) KS4 and GCSE’s (general certificate of secondary education) * All state funded secondary schools are regulated by OFSTED. * Almost all state funded schools receive all funding from the LA * Around 90% of state funded schools are specialist schools, and specialise in a certain area of the curriculum. They receive extra funding from the government to develop the specialised subject and can also receive funding from

Related Documents