What is radiant energy?
The energy of electromagnetic waves and gravitational radiation is radiant energy. Radiant energy is the result of a change in configuration of electrons. It can travel through any substance including air, liquid, glass, and space. However, matter is not necessary for transmission of radiant energy. Even in a vacuum environment, radiant energy can move. Radiant energy moves in …show more content…
Logical maybe, but incorrect! "Hot air" rises but "heat" can travel in any direction. That is why you can feel the heat of the cup when you place your hand to the side of it. Radiant energy transfer is caused by a warm surface giving up its heat to a cooler surface. Whenever there is a temperature difference between two surfaces, both surfaces will attempt to equalize. Radiant energy travels through space without heating the space itself. It only turns into heat when it contacts a cooler surface. Our human comfort relies just as much on radiant heat transfer as it does on air temperature, yet the majority of heating and air-conditioning professionals think only in terms of air temperature. As a result, Americans are missing out on a truly comfortable living environment in their own homes or places of business. By controlling both the air temperature and the radiant transfer, radiant floor heating systems deliver a comfort that is …show more content…
Radiant energy was discovered in the late 1800s by a British chemist and physicist known as Sir William Crookes.
• The unit of measurement used for measuring radiant energy is called joules.
• What can produce radiant energies? Anything which has a temperature can produces radiant energies, providing its temperature is different to the absolute zero.
• Sunlight produces radiant energy. The speed of light is quicker than any other speed including sound.
• Radiant Energies travel only in a direct line.
• Radiant Energy can pass through many types of matter including gaseous, liquid and solids.
• Radiant Energy can be absorbed, transmitted or reflected. It will be reflected when an object is unable to absorb the radiant energy.
• Radiant Energy does not require matter in order to be transmitted. It can even travel in a vacuum environment.
• Radiant Energy is a form of kinetic energy. The definition of kinetic is the energy produced when an object is in motion. This is a moving energy type, it is not still.
• Life on earth would no longer exist without radiant energy. It is an absolute requirement for the survival of living things.
• Radiant Energy can be used in telecommunications, heating, lighting and many other important