What Is The Role Of Racism In Our Society
To explore the world of racism and its factors.
Racism consists of both prejudice and discrimination and based in social perceptions of biological differences between different races and cultures. It often takes the form of social actions, practices or beliefs, or political systems that consider different races to be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to each other, based on presumed share inheritable traits, abilities, or qualities it may also hold that members of different races should be equally treated. Many people describe racism as white people looking down upon blacks, but racism is a two way street.
Racism can happen in many ways, for example:
• Making racist jokes.
• Calling people racist names.
• Bully, hassle or intimidation.
• …show more content…
Racism is a problem for many reasons. The following reasons are included;
• It is a social issue within our society today blooming from our ancestors.
• It can cause mental distress and lead to poor mental health
• It can deny people different opportunities
Racism is a significant social issue in today’s society and in requires plenty of attention. In order for the amount of racism to be mitigated, the government and community must work hard and focus on racism. But this is just not practical. We cannot focus or fund one aspect so much to cure it when there are many more problems that need a portion of our attention as well.
Being a victim of racism can make a huge impact on people’s mental health. A study of over 800 Australian secondary school students found that racism had a huge mental health impact on young people who experienced it. These poor mental health problems included;
• Ongoing feelings of sadness, anger, depression and being left out.
• Headaches increased heart rate, sweating, trembling and muscle tension.
• A constant fear of being verbally or physically attacked.
• Not wanting to go to school.
• Having little or no trust in anybody apart from